Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lantern Festival 2013

A festival that we hardly pay any attention to ever since the days our childhood is over. The best memory I had of lantern festival was when I was a young child, say like 7 years old, carrying my lantern which I can't even recall what shape and pattern it is, following the RC organized event of merely walking around the estate with all the children. I guess the lantern is most probably the shape of an animal made from mainly red cellophane paper with a little holder made from wire for the candle. Well, in those days we hardly had fanciful battery operated lantern which light up at the touch of a button and sing a certain song loudly. Not that I am complaining but I would prefer the simplified cellophane lanterns anytime though the tricky part is trying to balance the candle and prevent the lantern going up in flame. Appear to be so boring right looking back but frankly at that moment it was so much fun, no wonder they called it the simple joy of children. Next will be trying to peel the pomelo with the skin still intact in one whole piece and tada, a homemade lantern after putting in a candle.
 
Now it set me thinking on what kind of activity I would like to expose the children to in view of the festival. Being the lazy mama as always, the past few years we have practically done nothing, at least not that I am able to recall of. Yes it is that bad. Looked like I need to buck up with more meaningful activities for the children, guilty as charged! Having said that, we did nothing again this year! LOL


The lanterns which are a gift was destroyed by the 2 destroyers way before the festival day itself. Due to miscommunication, I was not aware that the children have no lanterns totally for the day! Well I got to know of it only on the evening of the very day. So after dinner, armed with only Zethan's lantern he made in school, we set off looking around for more lanterns. To our surprise, we could not spot any children with lanterns in the estate totally?!! Geez, what is happening to the children in this estate, no fun and simply no life?!

As we crossed over to central, we could only spot 3 miserable set of child / children showing off their lanterns proudly. The next shock came when no other retailers even those in Junction 8 sell lanterns except for NTUC and trust me the lanterns they sell is just so unattractive. Since there are no other options available, just have to make do with them. No candle lest accident happen, the little man was just as excited carrying the unlit lantern on the walk home. So there you are, the Lantern Festival celebration we have, Zelyn's first!

No comments: