Saturday, March 2, 2013

New School

Zethan started in a new school effective 3rd Jan 2013.
 
I was pretty much in a fix last year trying to decide to switch or stay put as I have observed he is enjoying himself greatly with his teachers and friends. 'Discussed" with him a few times (just to be sure he understand to some extent) and his choice will always be "Marymount School".
 
Took this topic for discussion with the hub and he assured that children are highly adaptable and he was very quick to dismiss my concern that he will have to stay afresh in a new environment, probably a larger class size and zero friends. Even though I am not entirely convinced, the decision made was to switch him to Marymount Kindergarten.
 
I went through 3 days of orientation with him and the first 3 days was just 1.5hrs of lessons. I thought it was pretty neat for the school's arrangement of only the Pre N and Nursery starting the term first then followed by the K1 & K2s starting the following week. The Principle explained that by doing so they can have maximum manpower to handle the new children esp that of Pre N to ease the settling in process. As usual, despite the reminder of the principal, instead of the usual 1 parent to 1 child for orientation, many of the children are accompanied by both parents, grandparents, older siblings, younger siblings. The noise level and crowd were really very bad on the first day.
Although Zethan did not cry on the 1st day but it kind of upset me to see him overwhelmed in the seas of children (read 100 children without adding on the adults & siblings present), looking pretty helpless and lost esp during the assembly cum music session. He was extremely quiet with a very lost expression on his face trying to figure out what is happening. It is not tough to understand his anxiety since the setting is much larger than his old school coupled with a new environment. I started to feel a tinge of regret and guilt on what I might have subjected him to.

By and large the first day went by very well and I try not to stay with him too much in all the activities so for him to adapt and settled in faster which I do have the full confidence he can do so with no issues. Giving him the assurance that I will be back to pick him up later, I leave him alone in the class. Once in a while I will try to peep in on him without him noticing to make sure he is all good. In fact it is a brand new learning experience for mi as well since I would have to understand the mechanics of dropping him and picking him up. For parents who are driving, one would have to stay in queue with the priority given to school buses. Name and class would have to be displayed on the windscreen for the teacher to bring the child out.

What is impressive about the school is that they are very systematic not only in the above mentioned, but also toileting visiting is done by individual class without allowing 2 classes to be inside together. Once the whole class is in the toilet, the teacher will close and latch the gate to ensure that no children enter or exit unknowingly. Boys and girls have separate cubicles as well.
 
On the 2nd day, I sent him in to class again with the proper goodbye and assurance I will pick him up later and 'left'. Hiding out of sight I feel like a pink panther! Again I will peeped in without his knowledge.
By the 3rd day, I am confident that he can settled in thus just walked him into class and that's it.
The only problems faced so far that I have managed to identify would be mealtimes. He had some problems accepting certain food in school esp the porridge and noodles since he is very much a rice person. We are still working on it currently. He would returned home saying he is hungry and asked for his milk feed.
 
It is also a wee bit peculiar to see him totally exhausted after school dismissal and his naptime stretch from the previous 1 hr to even 3 hrs.
 
By and large we are pretty satisfied on how things have turned out in the new school, no major complains. No complains from Zethan too.

No comments: